Cannabidiol Half-Life Guide—How Long Does CBD Stay in Your System?
If you have a drug test coming up, you might be concerned about how CBD affects the results. It can linger in your body from a few hours to a month, depending on numerous factors. In this article, we’ll analyze those factors to give you an idea of what to expect from CBD in the long run. We’ll tackle the following questions:
- How long does CBD stay in your system?
- How long do the effects of CBD last?
- Can CBD cause you to fail a drug test?
- How do you get CBD out of your system fast?
How Long Does CBD Stay in Your Body?
Cannabinoids are fat-soluble and can remain in your system for a long time. The average half-life of CBD is from one hour to five days, but the body will take around four to five half-lives to eliminate the substance.
The exact time depends on various factors, including the consumption method, dosage, metabolism, and frequency of use.
If you vape or smoke it, CBD will stay in your system for a short period—typically from a few hours to a few days, depending on the dose. It will also kick in faster due to inhalation’s high bioavailability rate. When vaporized, CBD turns into droplets and travels to your lungs, after which it’s absorbed by the alveoli and transported quickly into your bloodstream.
With oral and sublingual consumption, CBD will linger in your body for at least one day or up to a few weeks. Cannabidiol will also take longer to kick in with this method than through inhalation. When taken orally, usually in oil or tincture form, CBD will be absorbed by the blood vessels below the tongue and reach the bloodstream that way.
CBD edibles will make cannabidiol stay in your system the longest—from a few days to a month. Since it needs to pass through the digestive tract, the cannabinoid will need time to reach the bloodstream, which is why it will take the longest to kick in.
Topicals work in a different way than other CBD products. They’re typically used to treat local pain and irritation. With transdermal application, CBD usually lingers in the body for a few days.
Other Factors Influencing CBD’s Half-Life
Everyone will react to CBD differently, with the following factors determining the effects:
- Dosage and potency—The higher the dose and the potency of the product, the slower CBD will exit your system. Keep in mind that CBD products become less potent over time
- Your body—Your weight, body chemistry, water content, and certain conditions affect your reaction to cannabinoids
- Diet—Eating before taking CBD will prolong its half-life, especially if the meal is rich in fat
- Frequency of use—If you’re a frequent user, CBD can build up in your system and remain there longer
Source: Kindel Media
Full-spectrum CBD vs. CBD Isolate
Some CBD products include other cannabinoids, such as CBN and THC, which could linger in your body longer than CBD.
Based on their content, there are three groups of CBD products:
- CBD isolate contains pure CBD and nothing else
- Broad-spectrum CBD products consist of selected cannabinoids—most often CBN, CBG, and CBC, but also terpenes, flavonoids, and fatty acids
- Full-spectrum CBD contains everything broad-spectrum does, as well as psychotropic cannabinoids like THC isomers
If you’re not worried about failing a drug test, full-spectrum CBD is the way to go. It typically won’t cause a high due to its low THC content, but it will bring many benefits.
The combined strength of these various Cannabis compounds induces the so-called entourage effect. Terpenes can boost the effect further and make the product more aromatic, which can take your experience with Cannabis to a new and exciting level.
Will CBD Show Up on a Drug Test?
Some drug tests can detect CBD, but the most common tests are designed for THC. Even if it didn't cause a high, the test might detect THC if you’ve used full-spectrum products.
Not all tests have the same sensitivity. THC can also linger in some parts of your body longer than in others:
|Location||How Long THC Is Traceable After Use|
|Blood||Usually 2 to 48 hours, but some sources claim it can be up to 30 days|
|Saliva||1 to 3 days|
|Urine||3 to 30+ days|
|Hair||Up to 90 days|
Frequency of use is another major factor. If you consume cannabinoids often, they will accumulate in your system and thus be detectable for longer.
The Fastest Way To Get CBD Out of Your System
You can’t make CBD magically disappear from your body, but if you follow these tips, you might be able to speed up the process:
- Drink lots of water—To “flush out” the CBD from your system, drink more water to increase the frequency of urination
- Work out—CBD can also leave your body through sweat, so you might want to boost your exercise routine
- Eat more fiber—Eating food high in fiber can stimulate bowel movement, which is another way to eliminate CBD from your body
How Long Do the Effects of CBD Last?
CBD can linger in your body for weeks, but its immediate effects won’t last as long. The same factors that influence how long CBD stays in your body also determine how long you’ll feel the effects—the consumption method typically being the most significant.
Here’s a table outlining the most important information about the onset and duration of CBD’s effects:
|Consumption Method||Effect Onset||Effect Duration||How Long It Stays in the System|
|Vaping and smoking||1–10 minutes||Up to 4 hours||From a few hours to a few days|
|Oral/sublingual consumption||5–20 minutes||2–5 hours||From one day to a few weeks|
|Ingestion||30–90 minutes||6–8 hours||From a few days to a month|
|Topicals||30–60 minutes||4–8 hours||Usually a few days|
Tips To Make the Most of Your CBD Journey
If used correctly, CBD can have numerous therapeutic properties. Cannabidiol may improve your:
- Chronic pain
- Symptoms of conditions such as MS, Parkinson’s, and epilepsy
To enjoy and benefit from CBD consumption, you should exercise patience, get your stuff from trustworthy sources, monitor your reactions to the cannabinoid, and consult your doctor before taking the cannabinoid.
Source: Edyta Stawiarska
Be Consistent and Patient
It’s important to take CBD regularly, at least for a few weeks, to give it a chance to work.
You should also manage your expectations. CBD has been said to help with insomnia, chronic pain, and symptoms of certain conditions—but it’s not some miraculous cure-all. Its effects are mild and sometimes hardly noticeable, mainly described as balance restoration and relief from discomfort.
Buy From Reputable Manufacturers
Unfortunately, false advertising and mislabeling are common in the industry. To ensure safety, buy only from credible companies that test their products in third-party labs. Read the results and compare them with the ingredient list. If you need guidance, look for professional user reviews.
Listen to Your Body
When you know why you’re taking CBD, it’s much easier to track the progress and alter the dose. Your reason can be relaxation, sleep improvement, or pain relief. In any case, you should be mindful of the changes in your body and adjust your CBD intake accordingly.
Try combining various consumption methods, splitting the dose, and taking it at different times of the day. Make sure to give them enough time to take effect.
Consult a Healthcare Professional
There are many good online resources on CBD, but your doctor is the best person to ask if you have concerns. If you’re dealing with any health conditions or take meds, speak with your doctor before self-administering CBD.
Alpine Gives “High” a New Meaning
CBD is one of over 500 different compounds in Cannabis. While it has its benefits, cannabidiol will never be as powerful as the harmony of various cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
Alpine Vapor Hemp lets you experience the full potential of the wondrous Cannabis plant. You can reap the many benefits of the entourage effect and enjoy the delightful and unique buzz it brings each time.
What Makes Alpine Vapes Superior
We’re committed to quality and safety, so our production process entails the following meticulously designed phases:
- We source only fresh flowers from small-batch growers in the Emerald Triangle and California’s Central Coast
- We harvest the buds when terpenes are at their highest and cryo-freeze them within an hour
- To extract live resin, we use the hydrocarbon process that leaves behind no impurities or residual solvents
- Terpenes are extracted via the cold separation process, which allows us to keep the complete terpene profile intact
- We mix the terpene gold with hemp-derived cannabinoids like delta 8 THC, HHC, and THC-O and package it into easy-to-use vapes
Other reasons Alpine stands out from the rest include:
- High-quality ingredients—We use only locally grown, resin-heavy flowers (never trim or stems)
- Purity—Our products contain no fillers, impurities, or other harmful or unwanted substances
- Consistency—Because of our rigorous lab testing practices, you’ll get the same level of quality with each product
- Irresistible, unique aromas—The various flavor profiles that terpenes bring will make every vaping experience fun and rewarding
- Top-notch hardware—Our custom-designed vape carts allow smooth flow and protect the vape juice from ever touching plastic or metal, which can contaminate it
- Customizable vaping experience—If you use the carts with our Apex batteries, you’ll be able to optimize each vaping session to your liking, personalizing the toke or cloud size
Something for Everyone
For those who aren’t used to the more potent stuff, we recommend starting with delta 8. It produces a mellow cerebral high, and you can control the dosage easily.
We also have Infused Gummies with delta 8, delta 9, CBN, and CBG, an ideal choice for party-goers looking for a discreet consumption method. They’re delicious and come in various flavors, so you’ll enjoy them even if you dislike the earthy Cannabis aroma.
Snag Your First Alpine Vape or Gummies for 20% Less
If you join the community, you’ll get a 20% coupon. All you have to do is:
- Sign up
- Get the promo code
- Buy Alpine Vapor Hemp Infused with Live Resin Terps
Recommend us to a friend by sending us their email, we'll send them a coupon, and as soon as they complete their first Alpine purchase, you’ll get another 20% off coupon.
Alpine products are legal on the federal level, but some states have banned cannabinoids altogether. When you enter your delivery address, we’ll let you know whether the product is forbidden under your state’s specific legislation.
Featured image source: Julia Teichmann